GSN Foundation Board of Directors, 2016-2017
Camille Prenn - Chair
Robert Thomas - Treasurer
D.D. LaPointe - Education Chair
Kel Buchanan - Member
Mike Ressel - Member
Pamela Klessig - Member
Robert Felder – Member
William Howald – Member
The mission of the GSN Foundation is to provide funding for the Geological Society of Nevada's philanthropic contributions.
- The Foundation will accept donations of cash and marketable securities. Other types of donations will be accepted only if approved by the Foundation's Board of Directors (approval via mail, e-mail, or meeting). The Foundation will not assist in determining the value of any donation.
- The Foundation will accept both non-restricted donations and restricted donations, with non-restricted donations being preferred. Restricted donations are those designated by the donor to be applied in a specified manner or to a specified program already approved by the Foundation. Any restricted donations designated for a new program must be pre-approved by the GSN Executive Committee and the Foundation's Board of Directors (approval via mail, email, or meeting).
- Non-restricted funds raised by the Foundation will be distributed in the following manner, in accordance with the Foundation's approved budget:
Should non-restricted funds be insufficient to cover the first three of the above causes, funding will be distributed based on the order of priority.
The Endowment fund will be invested as directed by the Foundation's Board of Directors. The Endowment fund's investment income will be available to fund the above causes. The principal will remain in the Endowment fund as long as the Foundation exists.
The Foundation's Board of Directors will be responsible for determining any increase in funding levels and for determining any new programs to be funded. Requests for an increase in funding and adding any new programs must be based on recommendations presented to the Foundation in writing by the GSN Executive Committee.
The Foundation's Board of Directors should be composed of a cross section of the GSN's general membership as much as possible. Directors must be members of the GSN. Directors will meet at least semi-annually and will conduct at least one fund-raising event annually.
Directors will be elected each year by the GSN Board of Directors; however, Directors will be encouraged to serve multiple terms to provide continuity in the Foundation's programs. The GSN's Nominating Committee will choose proposed Directors to be presented to the GSN Board of Directors.
There will be six (6) Directors who report through the Chair to the GSN Board of Directors.
- 1st priority - School field trips
- 2nd priority - UNR scholarship
- 3rd priority - UNLV scholarship
- 4th priority-NBMG mapping grants
- 5th priority-GSN Endowment
- Should non-restricted funds be insufficient to cover the first three of the above causes, funding will be distributed based on the order of priority.